Oct 26, 2010

Bridesmaids Dresses

I was asked a great question yesterday by Brandi and it prompted me to share with all of you my thoughts.

Brandi asked, "...I have a question for you: do you think it's better to put bridesmaids all in the same dress/color, or in the same color but different style dresses, or in the same dress in different colors? I'm curious to know what you think."

I personally believe that there is no right answer.  It really depends on your wedding style and what you personally like as a bride.  Here are some examples of different bridal party styles that I've rounded up.
................................................................................

1 color, same dress.  This I would say is the most traditional choice.  sometimes it is just easy to put everyone in the same thing, and believe me, as a bride you have enough to worry about.  It can be a little tricky if you have a lot of different body types but it all works out in the end!

1 color, different dresses.  I think this is really fun and also easy.  This was my friend Sheena's wedding.  She wanted to make sure everyone looked their best, but also match each other and her wedding color scheme.  She picked out a hand full of styles and asked us what our top two choices would be. she then picked out the top three dress choices and told us which one would be ours. I think this is a great alternative to having everyone in the same dress but you are nervous about letting the color go.

1 dress, multiple colors.  This is a new trend I'm seeing.  Great for those brides wanting some variety in their color scheme but want some unity as well.  It mixes it up a bit.

Tonal.  I do love seeing when brides take chances and let their maids pick out their own dresses(with guidelines of course!).  What you can do is send your brides fabric swatches or paint chips of the color dress you would like them to find.  then pick tones of that color that are okay as well.  also send with NO swatches.  as sometimes it is hard to know if a color is an actual tone or just a different color all together. 

Multiple colors.  The top photo the bridal obviously went with a more pastel hue, but in a variety of color.  the pastel hues keep the look cohesive.  While the second photo is more rich hues in multiple colors.  Both of which look amazing (and I just think this last photo is so much fun!)
..................................................................................

Doing this has really got me started thinking about my bridesmaids and what I want their look to be.  What do you(or did you) have planned for your bridesmaids?  Any tips or advise?

6 comments:

Brandi said...

Thanks for answering my question! I really like the look of all the different colored dresses in the last photograph. Luckily, I don't have to make such decisions yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

hip hip gin gin said...

I let our bridesmaids choose their own dresses, they simply had to be floor length and black. They looked wonderful!! But, beware that while I thought they would love the ability to pick any gown they wanted a few of them actually resented having to do the choosing themselves. I was pretty surprised by this, and at one point started wishing I had just chosen a gown and been done with it.
It is really true that now matter what you do, someone will be unhappy.
Love that last photo!!

monica said...

bridesmaid dresses are always hard. we had had same color, different dresses in our wedding

xo
monica

Shannon of HAPPINESS IS said...

I have NO idea what I'm gonna do for my future bridesmaids. I love the look of long gowns, but want them to be able to wear them elsewhere, so short might be better. I also love the look of the last photo in different shades :) xo

Kirby Margaret said...

Wow! thanks for all the wonderful Comments ladies! There is definetly a lot of options out there. I'm thinking of doing long dresses and tonal in greys and blacks. but lets be real, I keep changing my mind on this decision! I think once I actually pick my bridesmaids and hear what they have to say(I really vaule everyones opinions), will I be able to pick something.


xo Kirby

Sandy a la Mode said...

hehe love that picture of all the hearts!!! :D